Research shows that a positive work environment benefits employers, employees, and the bottom line. In fact, cut-throat organizations fail to recognize the hidden costs incurred behind all the stress and pressure to perform.
Health care spending
Health care spending in highly tense companies is almost 50% higher than in other organizations. Workplace stress is indeed correlated with health problems ranging from metabolic syndrome to cardiovascular disease and mortality. Did you know that risks increase as people rise in the hierarchy? Overall, 60 to 80% of workplace accidents are explained by stress, and over 80% of doctor visits are due to stress.
Engagement levels drops over the long term in high-stress organizations. Why? People gradually feel less valued, secure, supported and respected. According to a Gallup study, disengaged workers have 37% higher absenteeism, 49% more accidents, and 60% more errors and defects. From a purely financial perspective, productivity drops by 18%. Interestingly, businesses with highly engaged employees see 100% more job applications.
Lack of loyalty represents a third type of costs, as increased turnover demands more expenditure in recruiting and training. While replacing a single person costs approximately 20% of that employee’s salary, this figure can greatly climb for highly-sought managers or specialists. Even when workplaces offer benefits such as flextime and work-from-home opportunities, it appears that employees value workplace well-being more than material advantages.
Six essential rules to create a positive workplace
- Caring for, being interested in, and maintaining mutual responsibility for colleagues.
- Providing support for one another, including offering kindness and compassion when others are struggling.
- Avoiding blame and forgiving mistakes.
- Inspiring and encouraging one another at work.
- Emphasizing the purpose of work and contributions to one another.
- Treating each other with respect, gratitude, trust, and integrity.
A positive workplace increases positive emotions and well-being. In turn, these cascade onto improved relationships and form a buffer against negative experiences such as stress. As a consequence, employees are better able to bounce back from obstacles and difficulties while protecting their health. Moreover, such a healthy work climate attracts talented employees, making them more loyal while bringing out their best strengths.
When organizations develop positive, caring and respectful cultures they achieve significantly higher levels of organizational effectiveness — including financial performance, customer satisfaction, productivity, and employee engagement. How would you assess your own workplace culture at present? Full article : HBR
For positive work culture solutions, see our services.
- Mettere fine al colore del calcio da tavolo
- Sublimare i paradossi che ci imprigionano
- [Bewerbungsverfahren geschlossen] REKRUTIERUNG: Abteilungsleiterin oder -leiter der zentralen Dienste IVBE, Mitglied der Geschäftsleitung – 80% bis 100%
- Rekrutierung : Administrative Assistenz 50 % in Jahresarbeitszeit
- Quando il reclutamento fa finta di niente
Offerte di lavoro
- Recrutement : SECRÉTAIRE COMMUNAL (80 – 100 %)7 December 2023
- [Délai de postulation rallongé au 13.12.2023] RECRUTEMENT : Responsable des placements (80-100%) – CPVAL30 October 2023
- [Bewerbungsverfahren geschlossen] REKRUTIERUNG: Abteilungsleiterin oder -leiter der zentralen Dienste IVBE, Mitglied der Geschäftsleitung – 80% bis 100%7 September 2023
- [Postulations fermées] RECRUTEMENT : Directeur·trice général·e (80%-100%) – RYMAJE et ASIYE6 September 2023
- [Postulations fermées] RECRUTEMENT : Directeur administratif et financier (80-100 %) – Maison Hospitalière du Grand-Saint-Bernard5 September 2023