What would a Head of Remote Work do?
It’s all about ensuring that remote work is properly supported versus merely allowed. Formalizing and implementing work from home properly needs to be managed as a process. Indeed, getting remote work right involves more of a cultural change of habits than simply switching from a mostly colocated to hybrid-remote setting.
Will your existing management and HR team be able to address the following issues?
- Providing a physically and psychologically health workspace at home?
- Ensure that work from home employees are not discriminated (perks, promotion opportunities, etc.)?
- Communicate equally (quantity and quality) to both remote and collocated workers?
- Design learning and development programs that consider the challenges of remote recruiting, onborading and ongoing management?
- Reassess and edit company collaboration values that do not demand routine in-person contact?
- Organize in-person events that will promote personal engagement and a real company culture?
- Coordinate a coherent response regarding the company’s stance on workplace flexibility and support?
- Assisting managers in unlearning former habits and unhelpful mindsets about remote work
- Encouraging senior management to model and champion the new telework culture?
- Analyze and anticipate how work from home will impact the business today and in the future?
- Outline a multi-year remote iterative transformation strategy with regular milestones and objectives
- Celebrate small and progressively larger wins?
Many companies proceed in a precipitated and fragmented manner. In fact each facet of the complexe theme of telework is distributed to various logically associated executives with superficial coordination and poor progress tracking. So they see remote work transition as something they can hammer out in a few months and then proceed to work as they always have.
A much better approach is to involve the organization’s leadership in a multifaceted, cross-functional capacity that is so nuanced and deeply embedded in every element of the organization. Investing proper resources in managing telework now will bolster their operational strategy. Full article : LinkedIn Talent Blog